Use these tips to help keep your car safe on winter roads.
As the outside temperatures continue to drop, the number of blankets on you bed shouldn’t be your only concern. You should also consider how the cold weather is going to affect your vehicle. Keep these winter car care tips in mind to ensure you are ready for the coldest part of the year.
- Check your tires – the cold air can cause your tires to slightly deflate, which could lead to dangerous driving conditions. Check your tire pressure every couple of weeks to ensure it is at a safe level. This is also the perfect time to check your tread. If your tires are old and balding, invest in new ones before the roads get wet and icy.
- Inspect your brakes – make sure that you have the recommended amount of brake fluid in the reservoir. While you should always ensure you have the right amount of brake fluid, it is especially vital in the winter.
- Get a new battery – if you have had the same battery for a number of years, you may want to get a new one. A new battery will significantly reduce your chances of getting stuck on the side of the road.
- Change your oil – your oil helps to keep your engine cool while also keeping it clean. When changing your oil, make sure to use a thinner oil during the cold months to make it easier for your engine to turn over when it is cold.
- Check your windshield wipers – keeping your front windshield clean is the best way to avoid any perils on the road ahead. Make sure that your windshield wipers are in good condition and will work to keep your windows clean.
Most importantly, take a look at your auto insurance policy to make sure that you have the right amount of protection. Contact Gant Insurance Agency in McKinney, Texas for all of your car insurance needs.