Car insurance companies reward drivers who drive safely with a good driver discount on their car insurance plan. However, what qualifies as a good driver for one insurance company may not get you a discount in another company.
How Can You Get a Good Driver Discount?
You usually need to have a clean driving record for five years to be eligible for a good driver’s discount. However, there is a relaxation in the duration, and some insurers give you a good driver discount for as little as three years.
Furthermore, the good driver discount is sometimes divided into two separate discounts:
- Accident-free discount
- Violation-free discount
You can avail one of the discounts without being eligible for the other if your insurer provides you with this option.
Tips on How to Keep Your Good Driver Credit
- Follow the road rules while driving, and do not drive recklessly.
- Take note of signals, parking, and drive properly.
- You can take a defensive driver course to protect against accidents.
- Do not drive under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other intoxicants.
- Some insurance agents allow you to purchase forgiveness for minor violations and accidents at a nominal fee. Make sure to buy them.
- You can also apply for a traffic school to improve your driving every year. The traffic school does not report to the insurer for the first violation.
Good Driver Discount Rate
In the state of California, the good driver discount rate is set to 20%. In other states, there are different rules. Some insurers automatically decrease your premiums by providing discounts every year without any claims. It is always best to shop around and choose the car insurance companies that offer the best rates.
As a good driver, you are an asset to the car insurance companies. Hence, they treat you with attractive discounts on your premiums. The good credit discount often waives off a sizable chunk of your premium. With the right car insurance, you can get the best deals and discounts on your insurance in addition to safety. For additional questions, contact the experts at Gant Insurance in McKinney, Texas. We are ready to assist you with all your coverage needs today.