Fight the flu! Check out these tips to stay healthy all season.
We’re in the midst of flu season. Stay healthy through the height of the season with these tips to prevent succumbing to the cold and flu viruses.
- Avoid contact with those who are ill. The flu is spread through droplets that can span a distance of up to six feet away. The less contact you have with those who are sick, the better.
- Wash your hands frequently. Washing your hands is a great way to prevent the spread of germs. Make sure to use soap and vigorously wash for about 20 seconds, or two ‘happy birthday’ songs. Don’t have soap and water on hand? That’s okay, hand sanitizer will do the trick. Just make sure its alcohol content is greater than 60 percent.
- Don’t touch your mucus membranes. Viruses enter your body through mucus membranes. Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Get a flu shot. Vaccination is one of your greatest defenses against the flu virus. If you haven’t already gotten your vaccination, make sure to do so.
- Practice good habits. Get enough sleep, drink lots of water, and eat healthy food. The healthier you keep your body, the better it will be able to fight off infection.
In the event that you do become ill, make sure that you take care of yourself. Drink plenty of fluids and gets some rest. Be sure to always cover your cough and stay home if you’re feeling under the weather. There are antiviral prescriptions that may help ease your symptoms. Check with your doctor to determine the best plan of action for your health.