A power outage can happen with very little warning; make sure you know what to do.
Sudden power outages can be troublesome and uncomfortable for the whole family. However, the onset of a power outage should not be a reason to panic. Learn what you should do during a power outage so you’re calm and collected if your power ever goes out.
1) Have ice and coolers on hand for perishable food items. If a power outage is shorter than four hours or if the power outage happens when it’s cold, then you don’t need to worry about your food spoiling. Just do your best to keep your fridge closed so its internal temperature stays as low as possible.
2) If the power goes out at night or when it’s dark, then use flashlights or battery-operated lights rather than candles as lighting sources. This will reduce your chances of starting a fire.
3) During the colder months, make sure you bundle up in layers of clothing to stay warm. Avoid burning charcoal indoors for heating or cooking purposes. Additionally, you should not use your oven as a source of heat for your home. If the power outage is prolonged, it might be best to leave your home and try to find a warm place to wait things out. A family member’s or friend’s house or a public facility such as the library are all good options to escape the chill.
4) When a power outage hits, it’s important to switch off any lights and unplug any appliances. A sudden power surge could damage anything that’s plugged into an outlet. For additional protection, you might want to consider adding surge protectors to your home’s outlets.
5) One way to make sure your home has power at all times is to invest in a personal generator. Just be sure to consult an electrician before purchasing and installing your home’s generator.
Follow these tips to help you handle your next power outage with ease. Another way to prepare for a power outage or anything else that comes your way is to have the right insurance coverage. To find the best policy for your needs, contact the experts at Gant Insurance Agency in McKinney, Texas. Our dedicated team is ready to assist with all your personal and commercial insurance needs.