Halloween is just a couple of days away, which means it is the best time to carve your own jack o’ lantern! Keep these simple pumpkin carving tips in mind to ensure that your jack o’ lantern looks its best.
- Set up a workstation. Create a workstation that is flat and well lit. Store all of your tools in a tray when they are not in use to so they are easily accessible. If your kids are helping you carve the pumpkins, make sure that they can easily reach the workstation.
- Stay safe. Make sure that your children are supervised at all times! Do not allow small children to carve their own pumpkins. Instead, encourage them to use stickers, glue, or paint to decorate them.
- Choose the right knife. When it comes to proper knife selection, choose one that is short and serrated. Sharper knives are not always better when it comes to carving pumpkins, since the serrated edge does all of the work.
- Point the blade away. Never point the blade of the knife towards you. Move the pumpkin to ensure that you stay safe from any accidents.
- Avoid slicing. The serrated blade will not work as well if you try to slice the pumpkin. Instead, use the knife to work in a sawing motion.
- Use the force. Try to avoid applying a lot of force on your knife. The more force you use, the more likely you will be to get injured if the knife slips out of your hand.
- Use batteries. Use a battery powered light to light your pumpkin instead of a real candle to avoid fires.
Gant Insurance Agency, in McKinney, Texas would like to encourage you to keep these safety tips in mind, and a Happy Halloween!