Safely get into the holiday spirit with these safe lighting tips.
As the holidays get closer and closer, your neighborhood may be lighting up with thousands of twinkling lights. If you are planning your own holiday light display, it is important to consider any safety issues that may arise. Keep these holiday light safety tips in mind to help you safely enjoy the holidays.
- Only buy and use lights that have been approved by a nationally recognized testing lab for safe use.
- Do not connect more than three strands of lights together to avoid overloading your outlets.
- Look for LED lights instead of incandescent lights. LED lights use less energy and run much cooler than more traditional lighting choices.
- Before you decorate, figure out where all of your outlets are. Plan your display around where your outlets are.
- Look closely at all strands of lights and electrical decorations. If you find any cracked sockets, bare or loose wires, or loose connections, throw out the decorations.
- Read the manufacturer’s care and use instructions before you put up any decorations to ensure that you are using them safely.
- Do not overload electrical outlets with too many decorations since it can cause the outlet to overheat and catch fire.
- Ensure that no cords are pinched in windows, doors, or under heavy furniture, all which can cause serious damage to the insulation of the cords.
- Before you replace any fuses or bulbs, unplug the string or lights or decoration to avoid getting electrocuted.
- Turn off all decorations before you go to bed at the end of the night or before you leave your house for an extended amount of time.
For all of your homeowners insurance needs to ensure that you are protected in case of any incident this holiday season, contact the insurance professionals at Gant Insurance Agency in McKinney, Texas.