If you have reason to believe a loved one who passed away had a life insurance policy but you can’t locate it, there are some steps you can take to track down a missing life insurance policy.
• Look for insurance related paperwork and materials. This may include receipts, notices, and invoices. You might check old check registers or even an old address book for a contact.
• Call previous employers. See if there were any group policies in force at the time of the persons death.
• Check with your state’s office that handles unclaimed property. Insurance companies are required to send unclaimed funds to the state if they know of a death, but cannot locate a beneficiary.
• Check with the person’s auto, homeowner’s or health insurance carrier. In many cases people have multiple policies with the same company, and an agent for that company may be of assistance.
• As a last resort you may look for promotional materials from around the home. A calendar, ruler or business card may give you a clue worth exploring.
If you have any questions about your life insurance policies, or are looking for affordable plans, contact us. We are Gant Insurance Agency and we are here to help you.