Planning a renovation for your home is a huge job, so it helps to follow these steps making the plan.
- Start with a wishlist. Use the list to brainstorm. You can cut it back once you have a budget and write all of your ideas down.
- Work out your bottom line budget. This is the absolute most you will spend on this remodel.
- Hire an owner’s representative to oversee the job.
- Hire a professional to draw the project to scale.
- Get the required permits. Every locality has different requirements.
- Review your insurance. Ensure that you are covered during and after construction.
- Order and inspect your materials.
- Fix any plumbing, electrical or HVAC behind the cosmetic remodel. Start with the basics.
- Do the surface work–paint, install flooring and molding.
- Add in cabinetry and appliances.
- Add the finishing touches–backsplashes, tile, accessories.
- Get your newly updated home appraised. Upgrades add value to your home. If you haven’t adjusted insurance, do it now.
For more information about buying insurance in the McKinney, Texas area, please contact Gant Insurance Agency.