All truckers can use these tips to stay safe on the road.
Driving a truck is not an easy task. As you load up for a long haul, there are many dangerous that you should consider. Taking the right steps to stay safe each time you get behind the wheel of your truck can help to ensure that you arrive at all of your destinations safe and sound. Keep these safe driving tips to help you get ready for the road.
- Watch your blind spots – many motorists do not know about the large blind spots that truckers have to deal with each day. Whenever you are making a turn, changing lanes, or simply driving down the road, take a second look at your blind spots to ensure everyone is safe.
- Slow down – whenever you are driving through a construction zone, reduce your speed. Around 1/3 of all fatal work zone accidents involve a truck. Take your time to help keep everyone safe.
- Keep your truck maintained – before you get on the road each morning, take a look at the vital aspects of your truck, including your horn, mirrors, and fluid levels to ensure they are all where they should be. If you find anything that is unusual, report it before you get on your way.
- Properly load your cargo – the higher your cargo is stacked, the more drag you will have to deal with. Stack your cargo lower and throughout the entire space of your truck to help improve your fuel efficiency and handling.
- Put yourself first – if you are not feeling your best, your driving will suffer. Get plenty of sleep, get some exercise, and eat a well-balanced diet to help keep you safe on the road.